Friday, September 16, 2005

Going insane.

OK, I know it is a woman's prerogative to change her mind, but if my wife changes her mind once more on whether the dog stays or goes, I will literally lose my mind.

This whole situation is compounded by the fact that my wife does not make telephone calls. This already places controntation because I'd prefer not talking to strange people either, but I am capable of doing so. So when she decided that the dog was going to the Humane Society, naturally, I had to call. The lady answering said that they generally have a waiting list for admittance, but because it was a Chihuahua they could find space for a small dog. I know enough to infer that they are taking the dog for the very reason my wife originally wanted it; everyone wants a small dog. The instructions were simple. Arrive with the dog "before 4 p.m." Simple enough.

Well, at this point things are apparently rolling too smoothly. I arrive home no later than 20 minutes after arranging to deliver the dog and also no fewer than 25 minutes from her instructing me to arrange things with the shelter. My wife is on the phone with her brother's wife asking her if they would like the dog. Just about to my horror they do.

It isn't that I dislike the dog. It's quite the opposite to tell the truth, but training her has proved something that neither my wife or I are adept at. When she fiddled back and forth about keeping our new "Pixie", I simply stepped back and said I would support her either way, but I want her to make a decision quickly because it makes it harder on both the dog and us.

So at this final capitulation, I was upset. I asked her to call the shelter and inform them of the decision. She refused and said it'll be fine.

I ended up calling the Humane Society myself.

[Editorial note: My wife complained to me I've made her sound like a real witch. She of course isn't. She also adds that she was unaware of the effforts that the shelter might undertake. I'm certain this is true, but I don't think she was attempting to think about the consequences of her actions --which is precisely why I was irritated.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home