Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Rita hits Category 5.

I have the unlucky designation of "essential personnel" at M.D. Anderson. This means that while middle and high-level managers ride out the storm, in the location and acquaintances of their own dictation, I will be sitting at my desk working as if there was no storm at all until the inevitable happens.

Having worked during a previous weather event, I can predict some of the events that will likely occur assuming no changes have been made to infrastructures previously:

  1. The house power will go down.
  2. The emergency power will stay up.
  3. Air conditioning will be on house power.
  4. Emergency air conditioning systems for the computer systems will simply keep the air from rising beyond bathroom hand dryer conditions.
  5. I will end up working my own replacements shifts.

While impact to myself seems to be otherwise minimal, my family is preparing to exodus in mass to Longview. They are lucky that my wife's parents, and indeed even her other extended families, are RV people. They, at a minimum, have modest accommodations although I fully expect tempers to rise. Their tempers are sometimes bubbling even without extremely cramped accommodations.

Lamar University promptly cleared all class schedules for Thursday and Friday. Cheeky classmates inquired as to whether the geology field trip to the beach was reschedule so that we could visit the beach this weekend.

Personally, I feel quite safe inside a modern building. It's better than a house anyway, although I wish I could be evacuated with my family. My situation isn't that uncommon however. I happen to know an EMT that is not allowed to leave either. So be it. Bring it on.

1 Comments:

At 10:40 PM, Blogger P-Ratt said...

Buddy, I sure hope everything goes okay. I know hurricanes have been known to mysteriously sputter out right before hitting land. That would be really weird if this one does too.

Hey, make sure you have an extra charged cel phone battery.

Oh wait, you've got one of those nifty phone chargers. That's so cool. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home